Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Gaming!

I don't know if anyone really reads this, but if you do....

Many things can waste our time, everything is competing for that most precious of commodities: our time. Some of them are good, some are bad, some can be either. I once heard a chapel speaker say "Everything you have can either be a tool or an idol. Which will it be?" Do you use things to serve God, serve others, and sometimes just relax? Or do you let them control your life?

An example: Video/Computer Games
I know many people who are completely obsessed with one or more video games. They will play it when they wake up, when they get home from school, and through the night till 2 or 3 am. Granted, some video games are fun, especially to play with a few friends in one room. But they can too often gain control over one's life. And I believe that many, such as Halo, by Bungie Software/ Microsoft, seem to bring out the worst in people. I have seen people who are normally mild-mannered, turn into yelling, swearing, violent young men when they play this competitive First-Person-Shooter. Is this the fault of the game, or of their own lack of control, or the fact that they have no other outlet for their anger? I don't know, but I'd like to put forth a fourth option. It's obsession. They have ceased to use it as a way to relax, have a good time. It is now their life, what drives them.

This can also be seen in the more recently-released Massively-Multiplayer-Online-Role-Playing-Game (MMORPG) World of Warcraft, by Blizzard Software. The characters one builds up in this game becaome a status symbol, something they are immensely proud of. And if anything were to happen to this beloved mixture of colored pixels, megabytes of information, and sound bites, the person would be quite angry. Why? Because they've put inordinate amounts of time into slowly building up this computerized fictional character. Why in the world would a person do that, anyway?

Why am I so against video games? Do I have any idea what I'm talking about? Yes, sadly, I do. I used to be obsessed with computer games of any sort, be they RTS's, FPS's, RPG's, or Flight Sims. I played them so much they became everything I could think about, talk about, laugh about. Rather than what Paul talks about in Philippians 4:8-9, I set my mind on such trivial things as computer games. I regret this horribly, and realize that I struggled with this for years, until I finally got so fed up with it that I deleted every game from my computer, and have stopped playing them almost completely. I have, on occasion, sat down with a few friends for games like Nintendo's Super Smash Brothers, but other than that I try to stay as far away from the gaming world as possible.

I hate games. I've seen some good ones, ones I'd love to play at a party, in community. But most games quickly take over a person's life, drawing them away from authentic community to a lonely life alone, or alone with other lonely people in online gaming communities. Why would a person who lives in a college residence hall or, worse yet, a married man, spend all of his free time alone?

To these people, I say... "Get off your lazy... "seat"... and do something productive for a change!"

This does not only apply to computer games, but I use those as an example because they're closest to my heart, as ashamed as I am of that fact.

There is my rant for the month. One that I've been stewing on for years now. If anyone wants to talk to me about this issue, I'd love to talk to them. They can e-mail me or call me or whatever. But of course I won't post my contact info here. If you know it, good. If you don't, well, um... write me at my junk mail address, which is shoes_kill[at]hotmail.com

9 Comments:

At 1:03 AM, Blogger Eric said...

I no longer am a gamer, I gave it up quite early at college actually. However, there have always been things that suck up my time like that. Currently, it is often internet browsing. Even though the browsing teaches me useful things I could be spending my time more productively elsewhere. For that matter, I probably shouldn't even be in the Air Force, but spending as much energy as practically possible spreading the gospel to unreached people groups instead.

But, I don't.

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Luke said...

I tried to be a gamer these more recent years, and I just can't do it. I don't have time for it. Nor is my social web quite so endearing towards it. So I've actually gotten games to just play and I can't play more than a couple hours and then I won't pick it up again until... when?

I really appreciate this post Joe. What we invest our time in is really who we are in most respects. May it be things that are worthy of our attention.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger MalaBOOYAH said...

WoW is awesome, and you can just poo in soup bowl on a hot summer day.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger MalaBOOYAH said...

Ha! Just kidding.

But seriously, I am an avid computer/video gamer. I like to play them day or night, but not too early in the day unless I've been playing them all night and it just turns into early morning gaming. Heh.

I don't really have much to say to defend against what you say, Joe, because it's pretty much all true. I do, however, know lots of people who love to play console games with friends because that is just their community. I have friends here in Ventura who like the Gamecube the best out of all the other consoles (X-box or Playstation) because their games are group oriented and is just clean fun. I don't think it's a bad thing to spend hours with your friends playing video games. Other types of competitive play could have the same problems you listed. Competitive sports can be very obsessive, and while you play the game, you don't carry friendly conversations. In fact, serious sports games may demand even more concentration than a game of WoW. No one likes to talk about their day or what's bothering them lately in a middle of a game, and some of the most intensely negative emotions come from a person who's played a very bad game of basketball or football or soccer...even golf. Some athletes can get so obssessed about it that if they injure themselves so bad they can't play sports ever again, they become incredibly depressed and shut out the world. Is that healthy? What ultimate benefit is there to playing sports with that attitude?

I don't really have any point to writing this comment. I just see these same problems in other aspects of life, not just video games. I guess to me it comes down to the person and his self-control (or lack thereof). When I was younger (like pre-teen dayS) I was really bad with games and getting really angry at them. Throwing controllers, kicking stuff, yelling at the tv, sometimes crying. It was THAT bad. It got much better as the years gone by, and I think it has a lot to do with how you enter a video game mentally. Most of me doesn't care too much anymore when I play with friends, and most of my yelling is not in jest or just because something way too funny has just happened. People who talk crap at each other in Halo doesn't go beyond Halo. I don't know anyone who truly hates another person just because he kicks the crap out of him in a video game. He would probably respect him (in a hateful way) because of that. There are some cases, I do agree, where it is very bad for someone to play. People who can't control their anger and end up cussing up a storm or breaking things or use God's name in vain (to me, much worse than cussing) need to step away from video games altogether.

Anyway, I guess that doesn't really cover games like WoW. But mostly why I play that game is because my cousins and local friends play it, and we have fun together doing quests and whatnot. People who are desperate enough to pay another player real money for more gold for WoW needs to get a life. Not to mention it's illegal...but then again, what else do we do that's illegal, you know?

Alright, this is much longer than I wanted it to be. Sorry, I guess I did have a lot to say but it's a lot of nothing. Cheers!

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Andrew L. said...

If gaming (more specifically, violent speech) is the only thing you have to rant about, I commend you on leading a life free of real grievances with this world.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Clown for God said...

I like your comment, Andrew. I actually like all of your comments.

Lem, my post was not simply about gaming, bout about obsessions, which is something some games easily become. You're very right it can apply to sports, or anything else for that matter.

I actually mentioned Super Smash Brothers, and I think that's a fun game to play with people. Anyway, I like all your comments. Thanks!

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger MalaBOOYAH said...

Oh, I somehow missed the "This does not only apply to computer games," claim you made later in the post. My bad. :)

Obsessions are bad. Unless their obsessions about God. Yay for Godly-obsessions!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Luke said...

God's the only good obsession. This reminds me of a song by Delirious:

What can I do with my obsession?
With the things I cannot see
Is there madness in my being?
Is it wind that blows the trees?
Sometimes you're further than the moon
Sometimes you're closer than my skin
And you surround me like a winter fog
You've come and burned me with a kiss

And my heart burns for you
And my heart burns

And I'm so filthy with my sin
I carry pride like a disease
You know I'm stubborn God and I'm longing
to be close
You burn me deeper than I know
I feel lonely without hope
I feel desperate without vision
You wrap around me like a winter coat
You come and free me like a bird

And my heart burns for you
And my heart burns for you


Such an awesome song. I love it SO much. Brings my heart to worship.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Daniel Peckham said...

Thanks for the post, Joe. It's good to see some action on your blog, and I think you're talking about an important issue that can apply to almost anything, as has already been mentioned. Games aren't a draw for me anymore, but photography can easily become a similar issue. I know it has become that for me sometimes. It seems like any good (or morally neutral, for that matter) thing can be taken to an extreme.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home